Horrible experience w/ Sports & Classics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Horrible experience w/ Sports & Classics
From: "Vito Pacione" <classic@m2.interserv.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:45:43 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <classic@m2.interserv.com>
Sometimes you have an experience with a parts vendor - supposed
enthusiast that leaves you shaking your head wondering  "How do these
guys stay in business?"

I spoke to John (the owner) many times regarding the purchase of many
N.O.S. parts or my TR-6. I should have read the writing on the wall
when I had to make more than 10 calls to John in following up the
status of a faxed list of parts I was looking for. He always was
busy. At one point he told me that he had to take care of "real
orders". I guess it escaped him that all he had to do was tell me he
had the parts and give me a price - viola - a "real order".

In any event this went on for over two months. (N.O.S. parts are hard
to come by so you keep hanging on and be more patient than you
normally would.) The promises of later today or tomorrow kept coming.

Finally, I find that he has my radiator and will send it out. I get
the radiator and it is the one for later cars. (has the upper elbow).
John was not in so I faxed him that I was sending it back and gave
him the number for the radiator that I received and the correct
number for the one I was looking for. I asked him to please replace
the wrong one with the right one.

I called this morning to follow up. He answers the phone and says to
send the radiator back in a pissed off tone. I asked him if he had
the correct one for my car. At this point he goes off and tells me
that I had better get my part numbers right (I still have to find my
faxed list to him, but I believe that I did fax him the right
number.) He tells me that he is pissed off about the radiator coming
back, that he has spent alot of time with me on the phone (I guess
that happens when someone has to call more than ten times to get
part), and that his people have spent time to pack the item.

At this point I still believe that I sent him the correct part number
but I apologize profusely for sending him the wrong number. He again goes and
starts to tell me that he I better get my part numbers straight
before I ever call him again because he doesn't have time to waste.

I try to diffuse the situation by asking him if he is the owner to
which he responds yes. ( I figure that he has a stake in maintaining
good customer relations as well as keeping good word of mouth
regarding the company he has built.) I tell him that I have spent
alot of money with him ($600 on my last purchase and about $500 on
this purchase - not bad for two purchases). He tells me to spend it
with somebody else and hangs up the phone.

Whether or not I accidentally gave a wrong account number (and I do
not believe I did) any reputable company that has been doing business
for any amount of time will realize that mistakes happen, and they
would want to make the situation right. John did not have any of
these considerations in mind. He just felt that as a person (and I
assume as a company since he owns the company) he was wasting time
with a customer if that customer had to return one of his products.
In my opinion a very selfish and narrow minded approach to both
business and life in general. It's downright sad.

I am not going to bad mouth either John or Sports and Classics.
Instead I thought I would just give a factual account of the
happenings and let each of you make up your own minds about the type
of company that should earn your business. I will never do any
business with Sports and Classics. I will also recount my personal
experience to anyone who is in the hobby and is considering a
purchase from Sports & Classics. An experience such as this needs to
be known.

Sorry to take up so much space but it was something I really feel
that the british car community needs to know.