buying a TR 250 & shipped to NZ

To: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: buying a TR 250 & shipped to NZ
From: Ashley Southgate <ashley@chch.planet.org.nz>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 21:56:33 +1200
Has any one out there brought a TR  ("warning" not from the owner,but from a
friend who knew of the TR,all correspondence was with this friend).This
friend is high up in Triumph Club circles,has knowledge of TRs, a person who
i put a lot of trust in,even phoned him to get a more of a personal idea of
what this 250 was like.My main worry was the frame(chassis)would need to be
99% in perfect order,i was told the frame is strong & clean,but the complete
rear end is fibre glass patched,which i did except,other wise the rest of
the TR was complete.Once the deal was done & a deposit paid only then i was
told the hood hasnt been up for years & is rotten.
When the TR arrived in NZ my first look told me it was only a parts car,the
front bumper eaten away,looks like it has a Ford steering,no dash support,&
the fibre glass patch up was a lot worse than i was to believe,this is not
part of my reason for this letter(the fibre glass) My main reason for this
letter is the way i have been missed lead over (1) THE ROTTEN CHASSIS WITH
HEN SHITED WELDING OF LUMPS OF IRON,A VERY SORRY STATE,WILL NEED A COMPLETE
REAR SECTION FROM GEARBOX BACK.
(2)NO DASH SUPPORT (THE PART WHERE THE RADIO IS HOUSED)
(3)THE INCORRECT STEERING WHEEL.
In the last few months i have spoken to this agent about how he has missed
lead me over this TR,i have asked him to come up with a offer to over come
the 3 items as i have shown above, either have the parts or a cash offer.All
he can say is the cost of this day off work & the TR was his friend & not
his own car.                                          In ending i trusted
this man who knew TRs,he sold me this 250 with out a disclaimer notice,told
me the chassis was strong,didnt tell me the dash support was missing,& the
steering wheel was non TR 250,even told the front was strong,not so,will
need inner & outer guards. We dont have paddocks of TRs for wrecking,there
is only 3 TR250 in New Zealand,all very fine examples.
My warning to any one wanting to buy a TR in the USA,either see the car
yourself or get a real Triumph man to oversee,a person that you really know
& trust.           If any one can be of help you can contact me direct,.i
have told this agent i would put his name over the Triumph net,thats if he
or the the  owner didnt come up with a offer to settle this matter.
footnote. this agent has been away to the VTR Meeting

Sunday 21th July. Thank you all for replying to my above letter to the net.I
have come on line today,i will reply to you all,but i must add details that
i didnt say in the above letter.
Firstly i was looking for a project car,one that needed a tidy up &
repaint,wasnt too worried about motor & gearbox,as long as the car was
complete.                  To clear this point this agent(the man i did the
dealings with---i didnt speak to the owner of the TR250 once) is not as far
as i know has any connection with a car sales yard,so there was no car
dealer company involved,was just private.                          The price
i paid for this TR250 was $2000.00us plus my cost of freight to LA then to
NZ.
The Bill of Sale is as follows," Quote"
I Tim M--------- on this day,October 31,1995 sell to one Ashley
Southgate,one Triunph TR 250 automoblie in as is condition Vin
#CD2308l,conifer green,wire wheels for sum of $2000.00US dollars.Delivery to
buyers agent in Champaign,Illinois, one (_name)_________ __ with my
reponsibility ending with this transaction. End of quote.            Signed
by TIM ------
Signed by agent(name) for Ashley Southgate.
During my contact with agent i asked for photos which never arrived,so i was
sent photo colour copies,not the best,but i could see the beading along the
tops of rear guards which gave a clue that the rear guards were ok,that was
not so,the beading was gone,all this area fibre glassed over,plus rear
deck,both "B" posts,inner rear guards,really the whole back end from :B:
post back is stuffed.Its a wonder the whole car didnt break in half.
I told this agent that i wanted this TR250 to arrive in NZ early in the new
year so that i could use this TR250 for a National TR Rally in March
1996.NOT ONCE WAS I TOLD I WOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS,LIKE WISE I WASNT TOLD
THe TR WOULD TAKE ANOTHER TR,& MONTHS OF WORK BEFORE IT WOULD BE READY.
For all of my asking,phone call,been told the price is firm at $2000.00,& by
the way 8 persons are looking at this TR so you had better make your
mind,why the hell wasnt i told this TR250 is really a mess, when i was told
the front is strong,some fibre glass in rear end,the frame is strong & ok,it
is complete,then find the wrong steering wheel,no dash support,the front
bumper rotten away,the frame rotten, then to be told after buying, the hood
has been down for years & is rotten.
>From what i have noted, would this TR250 be only a wreckers car,& what price
would he pay $500.00us??? From US Magazines i have read TR250 in the
condition that i received would be $900.00us.   Would a claim of $1300.00us
be in order?
I under stand this agent received $200.00 for selling this TR.
My intentions is to have a couple of TR to loan out to oversea TR Owners who
would like to tour NZ,with bad advise from a VTR member & a big noise in
Triumph circles this TR250 will be lucky to see our tarmac,since buying the
TR250 i now have a TR3b to get ready for overseas TR visitors.I still would
like to have TR250 up & running,thank you all for your offers & advise,i
will contact you all direct,i amm with holding the agents name from the
net,if he comes up with a offer that is fair & square this will end the
whole dam mess,if he doesn't respond i will do so. Is that a fair deal.?
PS.remember the whole deal was done with out any disclaimer notice from this
agent.     PSS.Broken spokes,splines on hubs & wheels all stuffed,heaps of
clonks & bangs from uj jionts,did get to drive 250 from trailer to inside
garage so it does drive,the one good point is the rear bumper is complete &
in good order,same for bonnet,the grille a bit knocked about.The boot lid
has a big ding in it,i was told of this, but not about the rotten bottom
section.Thank you to the people who replied (10) for your advise & help,hope
you have a better view of what has happen,there is always the others side
view,what i have told is true.