Re: Spit missing at speed

To: Kirk Petersen <kpete@ez2.net>
Subject: Re: Spit missing at speed
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 13:55:09 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Kirk Petersen wrote:

> know of). During freeway driving, at about 60mph and 3500rpm in 4th
> gear, it starts missing. Stepping on the accelerator won't get it above
> 60mph.
> I've checked the timing (it seems to idle much better somewhat advanced
> from what the specs call for).Also the problem doesn't seem to occur at
> 3500rpm in the lower gears.

Since it doesn't seem to happen in lower gears (although it might be, and
you don't notice it because of the torque advantage from the lower
gearing), sounds as if it's load dependent.  In 4th, the gearing is such
that a larger throttle opening is required for the same rate of
acceleration than is required in lower gears.  Unless you've got a fuel
pump problem, I'd guess that the additional advance you've plugged in is
causing some heavy pre-ignition or detonation.  The way to find out is
bring along your portable tool kit, find a road where the traffic is
light, stay near the shoulder, get the car up to speed so that the
problem appears, and as fast as you can, off the throttle, ignition off
and clutch in, then coast to a stop.  Then pull the spark plugs and see
what they look like.  If they look blistered or have tiny metallic
deposits on them, back off on that timing.  Otherwise, you'll eventually
find holes where the piston crowns used to be....
Cheers.