Re: Spit missing at speed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Kirk Petersen <kpete@ez2.net>
Subject: Re: Spit missing at speed
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 96 09:40:46 PDT
>I am the proud owner of a '79 Spit which has one nagging problem (that I
>know of). During freeway driving, at about 60mph and 3500rpm in 4th
>gear, it starts missing. Stepping on the accelerator won't get it above
>60mph.
>I've checked the timing (it seems to idle much better somewhat advanced
>from what the specs call for).Also the problem doesn't seem to occur at
>3500rpm in the lower gears.

>Any advice, help or a nudge in the right direction would be greatly
>appreciated!

Wow, it's the day for mystery problems just like mine!  I have the same thing,
but
at ~73 mph (~4200 rpm), only in fourth and only after about 10 minutes driving
that
speed.  It also seems to go away from time to time.  Of course, I generally
don't
drive for ten minutes at 4200 except on the highway in fourth...

The problem seems to be fuel-related in my case.  If I slow down by 10 mph and
drive for a few minutes, I can speed back up again for a while.  Then it
happens
again a few minutes later.

There are no strange noises.  It's not suspension or brake related.  I have
pulled
over and checked the coil - it's warm but not hot.

I haven't yet pulled over and checked a plug.  I have had multiple things
contribute to this.  I definitely had float and needle-valve problems at one
time.
I believe those are fixed.  Vaccuum problems affect it too.  I had a leak at
the
EGR connection between exhaust and intake manifolds.  This made the problem
occurr
at lower speed.

My belief is that with all this smog stuff on the car, a vaccuum leak has a
much
more profound effect on the mixture than it would on a less
vaccuum-driven-wierdness-intensive vehicle.

So check for vacuum leaks, and check your fuel system/float bowl.

Do let me know if you figure this one out, cuz I've been trying to solve it for
almost two years.

Alan Coleman (alanco@sybase.com)
'79 Spitfire
'64 TR4