Re: Spit missing at speed

To: alanco@sybase.com
Subject: Re: Spit missing at speed
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:07:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< >I am the proud owner of a '79 Spit which has one nagging problem (that I
 >know of). During freeway driving, at about 60mph and 3500rpm in 4th
 >gear, it starts missing. Stepping on the accelerator won't get it above
 >60mph.
 >I've checked the timing (it seems to idle much better somewhat advanced
 >from what the specs call for).Also the problem doesn't seem to occur at
 >3500rpm in the lower gears.

 >Any advice, help or a nudge in the right direction would be greatly
 >appreciated!

 Wow, it's the day for mystery problems just like mine!  I have the same
thing, but
 at ~73 mph (~4200 rpm), only in fourth and only after about 10 minutes
driving that
 speed.  It also seems to go away from time to time.  Of course, I generally
don't
 drive for ten minutes at 4200 except on the highway in fourth...

 The problem seems to be fuel-related in my case.  If I slow down by 10 mph
and
 drive for a few minutes, I can speed back up again for a while.  Then it
happens
 again a few minutes later.

 There are no strange noises.  It's not suspension or brake related.  I have
pulled
 over and checked the coil - it's warm but not hot >>

Do you guys still have your cataclysmic converters in place? What you
describe sounds like a clogged converter. When they fail it's like a big
obstruction in the exhaust system.

May be worth checking.

Good luck,
Charlie B.