Re: MPG on TR6

Subject: Re: MPG on TR6
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:31:48 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Vadim Akselrod wrote:

> Retuned the carbs so
> that when manually letting in more air, it gains RPM rather than losing
> it (about 2 turns more rich).  I am not sure, since this was recent, but
> I don't think it had a major impact on mileage.

Oh, but it will. On SUs the jet setting will affect the entire RPM range,
not only the idle. So, basically, you are running rich all over the
range. What do the plugs look like? Their colour should be like milk
chocolate.

> Timing is set to 4 degrees past.

4 degrees past TDC? Sounds awfully late to me, but then again I don't know
what the US spec distributor advance curve looks like. You should check
the advance at higher RPM too (say 2000 and 3000), and ensure that it
follows the curve.

Have you performed a compression check with a warn engine?

Egil