Re: MPG on TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPG on TR6
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 07:34:00 -0700
Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Vadim Akselrod wrote:
>
> > Retuned the carbs so
> > that when manually letting in more air, it gains RPM rather than losing
> > it (about 2 turns more rich).  I am not sure, since this was recent, but
> > I don't think it had a major impact on mileage.
>
> Oh, but it will. On SUs the jet setting will affect the entire RPM range,
> not only the idle. So, basically, you are running rich all over the
> range. What do the plugs look like? Their colour should be like milk
> chocolate.

Vadim's car was getting bad mileage prior to me richening the mixture one
full turn.  His car has Strombergs...not SU's.....the plug we pulled looked
like it was burning pretty hot....that's why I thought we'd try to richen the
mixture a little.  I've yet to see a TR6 sparkplug that I thought looked like
it was running right....every one I've seen thus far looks VERY lean....with
the electrode almost completely white.

> > Timing is set to 4 degrees past.
>
> 4 degrees past TDC? Sounds awfully late to me, but then again I don't know
> what the US spec distributor advance curve looks like. You should check
> the advance at higher RPM too (say 2000 and 3000), and ensure that it
> follows the curve.

Yes, this is correct....the TR's with Vacuum retard really hold back the spark
until 4 ATDC....we checked the advance and it's working properly....his is the
mechanical advance type....as opposed to the vacuum advance as fitted to the
early models.

> Have you performed a compression check with a warn engine?

That we did not do....Vadim?  Whaddya say?  I'm hankerin for another World
Wrapps
burrito!  = )

Cheers,
teej

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn