Re: MPG on TR6

To: Vadim Akselrod <vadim@sems.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MPG on TR6
From: madscience@artnet.net (Marc Siry)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:38:45 -0800
At 10:56 AM 7/18/96, Vadim Akselrod wrote:

>Other symptom - sometimes it misses even after warmed up and at freeway
>speeds.  I can floor it and still slowly creep past 65, topping out at
>70.  Other times though, it runs fine.  Hmmm.  The bad running seems to
>be after it's been parked overnight.  But it has definitely warmed up (10
>miles, 15 minutes from start, still running rough) - and it's in
>California, so weather is not an issue.

This reminds me of a problem I had on my motorcycle, Vadim-- one plug (out
of two) was fouled and firing intermittently. My mileage dropped
precipitously since I was burning twice as much gas to maintain the same
speed, and my maximimum was 10-15 mph below what I thought it should be. I
replaced the wire and the plug and the symptoms vanished.

The upshot is, before you mess with the valve train check the easy stuff
(plugs for fouling, check the spark, points, etc.) Your symptoms sound like
a misfiring plug.

--marc