re: The lambda sensor - best thing since sliced bread

Subject: re: The lambda sensor - best thing since sliced bread
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:19:11 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Silikal@aol.com wrote:

> Egil writes:
> >Long time ago I promised some of you a status report regarding the
> >usefullness of a lambda oxygen sensor.
> [snip]
> >For $30 and an hour work you suddenly get full control...
> [snip]
> >The display of three LEDs sold at various racing shops is pretty
> >useless.
>
> Unfortunately, the commonly available lambda (O2) sensors have a
> very non-linear response curve, with a steep slope around 14.7:1
> and virtually flat elsewhere.  So the 3-LED gauges are really as
> accurate as you can reasonably get.

Nonsense.

If you read my article over again, you'll find that this commom
misunderstanding simply isn't true. The O2 sensor gives a reliable reading
for any mixture your engine will care to run on (lambda 0.7 to 1.3). The
curve isn't "virtually flat". True, the curve isn't linear. But still FAR
from flat at the extremes. You will be able to accurately distinguish
lambda 1.0 from 0.9 from 0.8. For instance. Which is basically just what
you need.

True, modern engines with 3-way cats will have to operate in the lambda
1.0 area, and will adjust to a corresponding lambda reading.

Read my lips: The only instrument you'll need is an accurate digital
voltmeter (which these days can be had for approx $20). To convert the
millivolt reading to lamda, there is a graph to which you'll find a
pointer. I've provided a little table for the most typical points. Again,
you would have found this in my article. If you had taken time to actually
read and understand it.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway