Re: Gunson Gastester MK 2

To: TTone007@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gunson Gastester MK 2
From: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:33:17 +0100 "Gunson Gastester MK 2" (Jul 9, 2:01am)
> Subject: Gunson Gastester MK 2
> O' Faithful Ones,
>
> Help! My club (ISOA) has a Gunson gastester MK2 CO% tester and I even got my
> hands on it to tweak my 74 TR-6 fuel mixture. Trouble is everybody has left
> for VTR and there were no instuctions with the tester unit. Does anybody know
> how to fly this contraption?
>
> I think the sensor wand goes on the top diaphram thingy, the 8" tube on the
> middle, and the little tube on the bottom. I have calibrated it to "2" but I
> don't get any result when I pop it in my exhaust pipe  It  just stays on "2".
> If I hit the switch, the needle pegs to the "check" position and just parks
> there. Is this just to verify 12v? Am I supposed to hear a beep? Does God
> exist for Triumph owners like me, who can't attend VTR to defend their 1995
> auto-x titles?
>
> Thanks in advance for a retard like me!!
>
> T Tone 007 @aol.com
> Mike Konopka
>-- End of excerpt from TTone007@aol.com

Mike,

I'm not sure about the Mk II, but I have the one with the rpm, dwell, volts
meters included.  The important thing is to make sure the machine is warmed up
for at least ten minutes (longer on a cold day), then set the reading to 2
percent in air, Run the engine at 2500 rpm for 30 seconds, then the tube
(attached to the top pipe on the unit) is inserted right down the exhaust as
far as it will go.

Watch the reading until it stabilises, then tweak away.

If you cant get a good reading within 3 minutes, rev at 2500 for another 30
seconds and try again.

Cheers,

Chris.

P.S. Make sure everything else in the engine/ignition chain is set correctly
before you go anywhere near the carbs.

--
-- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.