RE: 1971 GT6 Mk.3 - and what spit?

To: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Subject: RE: 1971 GT6 Mk.3 - and what spit?
From: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (Michael Noerregaard (Cap.Metro))
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 12:58:53 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
At 12:45 PM 7/2/96 -0500, dan parslow wrote:

>Hm?  Seems to me that by the time you've combined a GT6 with a Spit
>and dropped in a TR6 engine, your wallet will have been pretty thoroughly
>hoovered.  If you've never done extensive rework of an LBC (let alone
>three LBCs) you may not realize how fast the bills mount up.  In the
>end the 'price of the TR6 world' may prove an awful lot cheaper, and
>it's built to take the power.

Well - in my case I have to disagree - I picked up my GT6 Mk.3 WITH the TR6
engine (please remeber that I did NOT put it in there - I just found it
there after I bought it....) for $800 - and I'd say that it should not be
impossible to pick up a spit-tub for around $500 - but if you have a TR6 for
sale for $1,300 - drop me a line ;-) - and that is a nicely running one as
well with no rust (OK - I did spent an extra $400 on getting a modified
manifold, new header, and the right carbs for the engine - but that is still
less than $2,000)

>Anyway, some filosofizing here, but first a disclaimer:  Yes, you
>have the right to modify your car (local laws permitting) any way
>you want to.  It's your car.  You can even take it to the crusher,
>none of us can stop you.

I seriously doubt that I will ever cut my Mk.3 to pieces - and not even make
it into a Spit Six - at least I think that when I am INSIDE in an
airconditioned room. It DOES get a bit hot driving a GT6 when it is 100 F
outside... And I fully support you on your thoughts about mutilating a
running/original Triumph - if anything, I might just convert my Mk.2 with
the targa-top to a convertible - the damage has been done here (by DPO). And
there are still many spit-tubs from non-restorable cars around...

Just my two cents,

Michael - fighting a heat-stroke everytime I drive my cars these days

1969 GT6 Mk.2 (w/ 1972 GT6 engine - and targa-top)
1971 GT6 Mk.3 (w/ 1971 TR250 engine)
- not responsible for any of those conversions
....the DPO did it.....hmmm...