TR6 SO close (smog, timing, et al)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 SO close (smog, timing, et al)
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 11:39:52 -0700
Kelley's TR6 came so close to passing smog today it was heartbreaking....
passed 3 of the 4 emmissions related tests.  Failed only the CO at cruise,
and failed by less than a hundred parts per million.  = (

So....here's the question....is excessive CO due to an over-rich condition?
I still think the car is running too lean, but with the timing now set
according to the manual it runs SO much better it's hard to believe it's the
same car.  It was truly a revelation once the timing was set properly.

I'm wondering, since the needles are set a full rich, if leaning it out a bit
would reduce the CO.  I tried retarding the spark with it on the machine but
the CO started to go up pretty quickly.

It seems as though the vacuum retard and advance are pretty finicky on these
cars/carbs.

And I'm STILL confused about setting the timing with the timing light....the
Bentley manual says to check it with both the advance and retard DISCONNECTED.
In that state it should be hitting at 4 AFTER TDC....that's pretty retarded...
and with the vacuum retard connected it will retard even further right?  Wow...
that's a lot of retard....of course, who knows, maybe the advance cancels out
some of that retard?  = )

Kind of boggles the mind though....

Just FYI, with all the work done, the HC levels are down so far as to be
non-existent.....setting the spark properly really helps combustion (duh
TJ....what a concept!)....they were below 100 PPM, whereas prior they were
well over 1000!

So it goes....

Regards,
TJ
--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn