Re: 1971 GT6 Mk.3 - and what spit?

To: NGAARD@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: 1971 GT6 Mk.3 - and what spit?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:31:16 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 2 Jul 1996 NGAARD@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu wrote:

> Hi There
>
> I am still toying with the idea of making my GT6 into a Spit-Six (as are
> a couple of people on this list judging from the latest treads) - and
> being somewhat of an ignorant GT6 owner - I am not quite sure what model
> spit corresponds best in terms of body-style. Is  it the Mk. IV? Or the
> 1500? Or ? Or I might choose to convert my 1969 Mk2 - since the roof was
> already messed with by the DPO
>
> Sorry to be so ignorant - and appreciate anybody enlighting me on this,

Not to worry. I think generally it's easiest to stay with the same or
similar-style Spit tub. Mk. 1 GT6: Spitfire 4 or Mk.2 tub. GT6+: 1969-70
Spitfire Mk.3 tub. GT3 Mk.3: Spitfire Mk. IV or early 1500 tub. That's
the "modified purist" in me talking, but it's also practical advice in
that body structures are more nearly similar when the Spit tub is about
the same vintage as the GT6 donor.

Remember that with a GT6+ or earlier GT6 Mk.3 (Rotoflex rear end), you
will need to, among other things, adapt some sort of rear shock mount to
the wheel well of the Spit tub. With a late GT6 Mk.3 (swing-spring) or a
Mk.1 GT6, this is not necessary (with the Mk.1, though, I think I might
go with a swing-spring conversion or my beloved camber compensator setup
coupled with a dearched spring).

--Andy Mace
1970 GT6+: rusty, but to remain a Coupe regardless, although.... ;-)