re:Re: TR6 Engine Wanted

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:Re: TR6 Engine Wanted
From: PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 17:35:23 PST
Nick-since you opened yourself up to public scrutiny, and I spent TIME reading
your post: IMHO you will spend more than YOU SHOULD to get that TR going than
you think.  Why?  You're in the hole already for $40, you still don't have an
engine(for someone cheap that must burn like fire!).  You've looked at least
three engines..add up your efforts and time (oh yeah...for someone cheap that
doesn't figure time isn't money, then.....ha!...Get my point!).  Not to say
you may not find want your looking for, but by that time(did I say time was
money?) add the lost pleasure time in dollars (someone cheap understands what
I'm saying) and then you realize you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying the
car AND may need a new frame for that rusted one. Spend less on food...live a
little and get that nice engine and get her going fine.  Just my opinion..

----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

Sent by:Nickbk@aol.com

A while back I posted a note asking for a motor and went on to
say that I had found one which turned out to be a total bust and
that I was still looking for cheap 70 > 72 rebuildable motor
and that I was cheap and had gotten what I had paid for.

I got a lovely reply from John Burrows of Classic City Roadsters
(burrows@negia.net) stating that he had 2 motors for sale
at $950 and $700. To this I must say thank you John.

Now to the crux of the problem.

I have been called just about everything I can think of at one
time or another (a few even complimentary) most of which I
can not repeat in a family newsgroup. But, I do not think I have ever been
accused of being subtle.<g> Allow me to explain that
I did not say that I was thrifty, pecunious, or even stingy.
However, I am cheap, no allow me to say it this way, CHEAP.
The motor in question in my last posting cost me all of $40.
It was however, no good, and I'll tell you why:
     1-it had overheated to death    BUT
     2- I got a good head out of it - lots of studs etc - a few ancillaries
     3-I'm cheap

I also turned down a running very late(and very tired) motor
for $250 less carbs and I'll tell you why:
     1-the late crank won't work for my application
     2-I do not want to use the late block with the recessed gasket
     3-I'm cheap

Yesterday I looked at a very lo mileage 72 motor for $100 but
I didn't buy it and I'll tell you why:
     1-It came with no ancillaries at all
     2-It was a late 72 with that darned recessed block again
     3-I'm cheap
     4-did I mention I'm cheap

You have to realize that to me, half the fun of building anything is to do it
for the least amount of buckeroos. Definitely not low bucks
assembly, just low bucks outlay. After all, I'm puttin this motor in a
car that cost me zero dollars, as in $0 (it came as a package deal with a
Lotus Elan and I feel I can not divulge the price of the
package as I hate to hear grown men whimper, and besides, then
we get back to that name calling thing again).

So there you have it, "The world according to Nick "

Still looking for that motor !

                                                Did I mention I'm cheap ?
                                                          Nick