Re: TR6 engine wanted

To: Nickbk@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 engine wanted
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 20:22:46 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

snip:
                                So...
>I'm still looking for a reasonably priced (ok, cheap) <g>
>rebuildable 70>72 TR6 motor somewhere around Northern Ca. so that I can
>continue the GT6 implant, which leads me to another question. Has anyone on
>the list actually done a transplant of this nature ? What I have is an old
>SCCA GT6+ that I am trying to put back on the road. Most of the niggely bits
>have been dealt with and I am now down to the motor and trans and I figured,
>why not put the Big Boy ( more power) motor in here. At this time I am
>planning to put the weenie GT6 od trans back in until I can fit
>some sort of "tool time tranny" like a t-5 or its ilk.
>Any opinions, leads,or "do's and don'ts" on this whole idea.
>
>                                         Never too old to tackle a project
>                                                                  Nick

Nick,
 Funny you should mention your project. I am in process of exactly the
SAME THING.
 I found a 69GT6+ in a junk yard for $250. I needed the tranny. Alas,
some Yahoo had disassembled everything to the point that not all parts
are to be found in the assorted piles.
 The engine that was in the car turned out to be a 72 TR6 (CC14121UE)
but fortunately didn't have the vices you discovered.
 Lots of rust, the crank and cam had been removed and put inside the car
for no telling how long.
 The block is at the machine shop now. It is in spec, but rust has made
boring .020 a must. The crank will have to be turned at least .020 and
the cam and lifters replaced.
 I have already done most of the head work so all that remains is heavy
parts.
 You might want to check with Dick Burger at (e-mail) BRITISHPARTS@delphi.com
The prices he quoted me were outstanding. If he can just deliver, I will
be a happy man. So, when I get reay for the parts, he'll get my order.
Keep in touch. My engine is slated for a 68 GT6. Maybe even a 67.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###