TR6 engine wanted

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 engine wanted
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 20:18:04 -0500
Hi All-
   Well it seems my never-ending saga continues...
I did manage to find a motor, albeit a sad looking unit, for the
kind price, but it seems that the ole homely - "you get what
you pay for" rings true (or perhaps it's Murphy's law).<g>
The obvious pistons with melted edges didn't upset me, but
by the time I got it apart, I found: the bearings melted into the
crank, the rods burned into the edges of the throws and very
blued, the mains melted so badly that the bores were out of
round, two very small areas that used to be lobes on the cam,
and the cam journals worn out of round. Surprisingly, the cylinder bores were
very good. So what I got was a good timing cover
and rear seal assembly (even the pan was bad, as some amateur tried to weld
the drain plug boss back on).
                                       So...
I'm still looking for a reasonably priced (ok, cheap) <g>
rebuildable 70>72 TR6 motor somewhere around Northern Ca. so that I can
continue the GT6 implant, which leads me to another question. Has anyone on
the list actually done a transplant of this nature ? What I have is an old
SCCA GT6+ that I am trying to put back on the road. Most of the niggely bits
have been dealt with and I am now down to the motor and trans and I figured,
why not put the Big Boy ( more power) motor in here. At this time I am
planning to put the weenie GT6 od trans back in until I can fit
some sort of "tool time tranny" like a t-5 or its ilk.
Any opinions, leads,or "do's and don'ts" on this whole idea.

                                         Never too old to tackle a project
                                                                  Nick