Re: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?

To: mood@rad.unc.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:11:04 -0500
John Moody asks: how long did it take to replace my frame on my TR6?

Welllll.......

I could regale you all about this for at least 3 newsletter installments
worth (I have written a diatribe on this for our local newsletter) but I
would be summarily booted from the list.  To cut a long story short:

I got a used frame for free.  If you have to buy one add this amount to the
price I list below.  This frame was a typical frame (ie. rusted where the
trailing arms bolt on)  I had the frame sand blasted and I had new trailing
arm perches and cruciform (breast) plates welded on.  The sand blasting,
welding, and parts cost about $550 US.

Time is something I haven't kept track of but I have been working on this for
about 5 months on weekends and the occasional evening.  The big problem is
that when you have every thing apart there is the temptation to replace
and/or upgrade everything.  For example I replace all bushings with
polyurethane ones, I rebuilt all brake hydrolics (and clutch too) installed
stainless steel braded brake hoses, rebuilt the trunions, replace all
U-joints,  etc.

At the moment I am working on coachwork (after all, why fix up the running
gear and put a sad old body back on (especially since I hade the fenders off
(etc))).

Thats it in a nut shell.  If you want the whole enchilada I can E-Mail you
the three part newsletter article I wrote (the news letter editor begged for
material and I tryed to cure him of begging.)

Dave