Re: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?

To: John Wroclawski <jtw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 08:05:16 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Don Taskey <dltx2@catamart.com>, Bitparts@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, John Wroclawski wrote:

> I've been using DOT5 in a TR3 for some years now, because it seemed less
> likely to corrode the (single-circuit, no mistakes please) braking system.

        I've been using DOT 5 as well. I totally rebuilt my brake system
        when I was reconsructing my TR4. My reasoning was to avoid the
        destructive properties of Lucas Girling fluid on my nice new paint
        job... That was nearly 10 years ago.

> it into the system slowly, perhaps by letting the fluid run down a metal
> plate or rod instead of just dumping it in, and then you need to bleed the
> thing to death.

        Yup,  you DO have to bleed the pee out of the system... I have
        used my car for autocrossing, as well as a daily driver in the summer.
        For me, silicone has stood up well to the abuse. Of course, when I
        notice any sponginess in the pedal, I rebleed the system. I also
        recommend flushing the brake lines annually.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois