How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?
From: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Date: 16 Mar 1996 16:36:54 EDT
You're getting lot of negative replies, I think it's time for a
positive one.

I converted my TR-6 to DOT5 (silicone) four years ago (brake and
clutch) and have no problems.  Like you, I had just replaced my
hydraulic seals and said "why not".  I used one of the fluids that ARE
compatible with DOT3/4 fluids, check the label some are, some aren't.
That way I didn't have to worry about anything.  Since the MCs were
already empty, it was simply a matter of bleeding until I got nice,
clean, purple fluid out.  Then I bled a bit more to be sure.  DOT5
costs a little more than DOT3/4 but other than that I can't see any
drawbacks, and of course you gain the advantage of a non-hydrophilic
(doesn't absorb water) fluid.  IMHO this could translate into longer
life for my hydraulic cylinder bores.

Tom Gentry