RE: Herald questions

To: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Subject: RE: Herald questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:12:53 -0800 (PST)
Cc: matthews@apple.com, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, dan parslow wrote:

> > 1. Does anyone else out there have one of these cars?
>
> I just _know_ Andy's not going to be able to resist this one!

Right you are, Dan!

> > 2. Mine is the saloon model, I've removed the hard top and am now
> > looking for a convertible frame or fiberglass top. Any leads?
>
> Pardon me for not minding my own business, but:
>
> Stop!  Hold it right there!  Go no further!
>
> Saloons are much scarcer in the U.S. than convertibles.  Your car
> has a lot of intrinsic interest for American Triumph nuts exactly
> as it is.

No offense intended, but I heartily agree with Dan (and was just
composing such a reply when Dan's came into my mailbox).

> If you want a Herald convertible, may I be so bold as
> to suggest you find some raving lunatic who has too many already
> (and you all know who I mean) and offer to swap for one.  Or
> offer it up for sale and buy a (fairly available) convertible
> with the proceeds.

Well, Dan, NY is a bit too far from CA to arrange this :-( , although
I'd be happy with yet another 948 (I assume) saloon.

> Converting to a proper convertible will be an arduous job,  full
> of fabrication.  In fact, to do it right you'll have to get some
> body tub components (better yet, the whole tub) from a yard.

Right. There are "conversion" kits from England designed for saloon cars
in particular; I'm not impressed with the appearance of the finished
product. The easiest way to do this really is to buy a complete, running
convertible and preserve your saloon. To "authentically" convert your
saloon body would require much from a convertible rear body section, the
top frame, doors and latches and glass, the rear seat and related bits,
and a bunch of other detail bits. And you lose a bit of rigidity provided
by the saloon roof, and some rear seat area, and value, and....

The only other realistic possibility that springs to mind would be to
have made some sort of tonneau cover that could at least keep sudden
showers and the like off your conversaloon's interior.

It's your car; these are strictly mine (and Dan's) opinions. Go buy a
convertible; then you'll have two fun, economical, 4 seater Triumphs --
one for rain, one for shine -- at less than the cost of a single TR6!

> Good Luck!
> - Dan Parslow
> '65 Some kind of wacky Herald Convertible with dual headlamps and
> a six-banger.  Musta been a factory prank.

Like the Herald itself wasn't? :-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant