Re: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?

To: "peb3@cornell.edu" <peb3@cornell.edu> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: How to? DOT 4/5 to silicone?
From: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com>
Date: 12 Mar 1996 16:52:39 -0600
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=MCI/prmd=Honeywell/; 03A9031460037860-HW-MTA-MN]
X400-originator: Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <03A9031460037860*/c=US/admd=MCI/prmd=Honeywell/o=MN-MTA/ou=MSMail/ou=CORP/s=Lindberg/g=Andrew/@MHS>
1. Re the subject line: DOT5 is silicone.  DOT3 and DOT4 are not silicone.
 DOT3 and DOT4 seem to get along together but they don't like DOT5.

2. Re: "From what I have read and heard on the subject you must flush ALL
the old DOT fluid from the system, or else you will not gain anything.
Hardly a task to be undertaken casually."  Perhaps not a casual undertaking,
but not that terrible either.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.  (Of course
I've got a TR3 without that proportioning doohinky that seems to cause you
TR6 folks such headaches.)

3. Re: "Better to use a good DOT fluid and change or flush yearly."  No
matter what you use, you probably should flush annually.  If nothing else it
keeps your bleeder screws from rusting shut and causing a large problem.
 The big advantage to DOT5 is that when you're performing your annual flush
and you spill brake fluid all over the engine compartment, it doesn't act as
a paint remover.

Andy Lindberg