TR6 Insurance - $262 a year

To: Triumph Digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Insurance - $262 a year
From: Brian Lanoway <76214.2773@compuserve.com>
Date: 13 Mar 96 22:08:20 EST
Hi y'all,

Been following the thread on TR6 insurance.  Up here in the Great White North of
Manitoba, Canada, we have a compulsory, government-run auto insurance plan:
everyone has to buy their car insurance from the government agency (it's called
"Autopac") and everyone has to have collision and liability insurance (the
autobody shops up here are thriving).  Private auto insurance agencies (look out
Pat Buchanan) are not allowed to compete with the government monopoly. This
monopoly - which is extremely popular here - results in our car insurance rates
being the lowest in Canada.

For my 73 TR6 the annual insurance bill is $358 Cdn for insurance and plates
(this is conventional insurance; the car is not old enough to qualify as a
"classic").  This includes $1M liability, $200 deductable on everything and $40k
max insured value (someday, it might be worth that much  :) ).  The $358 Cdn
translates to an annual rate  of $262 US!!!!

The only restriction is that the car is used for pleasure use primarily (ie: I
can't drive it to work more than 4 times a month).  There is however no
restriction on the "pleasure mileage" that I can pile on - J Lucas or our
winters provide that.  If I were to drive it to work daily, the insurance would
be about 30% higher.

I usually store the car for our 5 months of winter, so my annual driving
insurance costs are 7/12 of the $262 US.  For the winter storage, I get full
fire, theft and vandalism storage insurance from the same government insurance
agency for $50 Cdn or $36.50 US for the 5 months of storage.

You know, this almost leaves enough in the ole TR6 budget for a $50 vanity
plate: any ideas anyone?

Brian Lanoway
73 TR6 stored away from our now melting snow