Re: Inner tie rods for TR4-A

To: Dave Page <page@ra.isisnet.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inner tie rods for TR4-A
From: daverne@dlcwest.com (Doug Daverne)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:59:38 -0600
Dave,

I tackled the inner tie rod ends on my TR-4 (1961) last year.  Unless I am
mistaken I think that the inner tie rod ends are the same or at least
similar in design from your 4A versus my 4.  In any case I didn't replace
mine but did a sort of rebuild.

The inner tie rod ends can be disassembled and are equipped with shims which
can be added to to reduce any free play to an acceptable level (I think the
Bently manual indicated what this was).  I purchased some steel shim stock
and cut a selection of shims from a couple of thickness and added
combinations until things were back to Spec. It appeared to work quite well
and allowed me to align the front wheels which wasn't possible prior to the
rebuild.

I don't know if this approach is conventional but it appeared to work and
also has the benefit of being inexpensive.  If any others on the list have
done this or discovered limitations please feel free to correct me.

Doug Daverne

1961 TR-4

>First of all, many thanks to those of you that responded to my appeal for
dual master cylinder information.  I've decided to install a dual cylinder
set-up and bleed frequently (the brake system, that is!)

>I'm now on to another challenge - I'm looking for a solution to the
apparent shortage (read extinct) of inner tie rod ends for my mount ('66
TR4-A).  Any suggestions?