RE: intro/gas octane/additives

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@msn.com
Subject: RE: intro/gas octane/additives
From: "Anthony Bauman" <abauman@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 00:48:32 UT
Hi Group,   I started reading this newsgroup about a week ago but this is my
first post...I am not too familiar with the Microsoft Exchange editor here so
if this message ends up somewhere it doesn't belong I apologize....
  Back
in the late 60's or early 70's I had a A-H Sprite (62?..the first year AFTER
the bugeye) which taught me that LBCs can be cruel mistresses..  Next came
the wife, then the kids, then the Pintos/Wagons etc...out went the LBC

...cut to present...
 About a week ago the wife was out so I handled
dinner..I picked up a $1000 pizza.. OK OK that is a little much with only two
toppings, but on the way to pick it up I spotted a little shape huddled in
the "cars for sale" corner of the local shopping center..  Without going into
too many details (as you see I can become windy at the drop of a hat) I drove
home in a 3 cylinder '78 Spit the next day. (bad spark plug #2 cylinder, now
runs on all 4).
    She looks basically solid, and most pieces seem to
work...with a little tweaking.  Apparently the PO bought the car 3 years
before as resto project.. then parked it in his garage due to medical
reasons.  He is moving into an apartment and the car had to go..

Needless to say, I have a few questions.  Some DPO in her past history
considered spraying everything in the engine compartment blue as a tune up.
Blue cables. belts, sparkplugs, carbs, wiring...  which is the first
problem.. most of the wires are now color-coded BLUE!  I can peel back the
harness taping to reveal most of the coding luckily.

Question #1 (finally)

There are two loose connectors near the left side of the block...nothing
matches them..any idea where they go?

This '78 has breaker points..
when did they first use electonic ignition?

The tach doesn't work.. I
tried the spare tach (this baby came with SPARES!) but no luck.. I then
spotted a loose wire in the general area of the coil and noted there were no
extra wires on the coil for a tach tie-in but there was a open spade
lug...tried it..no luck.. Does the tach tie in to the coil and if so, what is
the color code of the wire?

The ignition resistor (I assume) on the
firewall has a wire going to it from the started solenoid hot lug..  nothing
hooked up to the other lug.  I read something here about 12v coils and
not-12v coils.. I am guessing that this car had a <12v coil and possibly
swapped in a 12v.. would that preclude needing the resistor?

I bought a
Haynes book, but so far the color codes on the chart are less than a 100%
match with what I've got...

  ...now to remember that a "hood" is a
"bonnet" and a "wrench" is a "spanner"...<G>

     Thanks much,

Tony Bauman  ('78 Spit)