Re: intro/gas octane/additives

To: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: intro/gas octane/additives
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 13:13:21 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 22 Sep 1995 GBSimcoe@aol.com wrote:

> Last week I mailed an "intro" about myself and my new TR-- but then I somehow
> immediately got off the list-- got no mail for over a week-- should I be
> paranoid? :)  Anyway could someone let me know if that intro made it to the
> net-- called "I'm a TR owner again".

        Welcome to the TR support group and 12 step program! Please bring
        your own crying towel...

> My first question is a basic one -- what do you recommend as far as gas
> octane-- owners manual calls for min 91 ocatane, but since I am adding
> Re-Lead, I was curious as to whether the addition of Re-Lead changes the
> octane level of the gas.

        I'll try to handle this one though probably the engineers on the list
        might have a comment or two if I should stray from the facts. Lead
        additives are just that. Tetra Ethyl Lead is a protectant that
        primarily cushions the valves and seats with a microcopic cushion
        of lead thus proloning their life (in theory... though there are folks
        who have used unleaded fuel since God was a pup and swear to never
        having any trouble). Octane boost on the other hand is a different
        story. Road & Track had an article a couple years back about the
        relative effects of various Octane boosters... You might want to look
        it up. If memory serves there were differences in products but
        overall the benefit of all products was negligible to minimal .
        Having said that,I admit to using Octane boost on my somewhat modified
        TR4. I have had the best result (performance wise) with +104 Octane
        boost.

        The best performance I have ever experienced was to mix a tank of 93
        octane and Turbo Blue racing fuel 50/50 gas to racing fuel. At
        >$4 per gallon it's something I don't do often. Besides it's not
        generally available for street use.

        Good luck,

        Greg (ducking into his Nomex undies) Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois