Re: rattling TR doors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rattling TR doors
From: "Peter Barrance" <trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:09:03 -0400 "Re: rattling TR doors" (Sep 6, 10:38am)
I did this by loosening the three
> screws which hold the plate and shifting the plate  until the latch tit was
> tight when the door was closed. ( The striker plate is the plate which has a
> plastic insert with a grove into which the latch assembly tit runs).  One
> quick check before u do all this is to drive over a bumpy road, reach over
> and hold the door closed -- if the rattle stops u need to move the striker
> plate inboard.  If u push out on the door and the rattle stops -- u need to
> move the plate out.

This thread piqued my curiosity - sure enough the passenger side door on my TR6
has maybe 1/8 inch play in the open/close direction when closed. Both pieces
which govern this just seem to be worn (due to the continual movement back and
forth without early intervention. There seems to be no scope for moving the
striker plate inboard on this car anyway, short of elongating the holes or
something. Sure enough, holding the door tight cuts down the noise from this
door on bumps.