Re: spitfire 1500 engine problem; novice

To: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu, b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu
Subject: Re: spitfire 1500 engine problem; novice
From: CWNicholls@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:29:51 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 95-09-07 02:49:40 EDT, aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
writes:

>Brent,
> Sounds electrical (as in ignition) to me. I'd say the distributor and
>timing deserves a serious look see.
>Tony R.
>69GT6
>68GT6
>64TR4

Wow! The light just went on!
I had a similar problem about 10 years ago, the distributor shaft bearings
wore and the points-cam wobbled around, thereby the points didn't always
open-close at the right interval.  I forced the car home, keeping the revs
up, push starting a couple of times.  When I finally figured it out, I put in
a stable distributor, all was fine.  I since installed an allison (crane)
breakerless ignition in the Delco distributor (which I like for it's vacuum
advance).

good luck!
Clark