Re: rattling TR doors

To: paul@btcase.bt.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rattling TR doors
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:38:20 -0400
Yes, have had a similar problem.  First time in 1966 when my TR4 was 2 years
old and have had the same problem since.  If your problem is the same as mine
it is the striker plate on the door jam.  There is a small tit (part of the
latch assembly)on the door which goes into the plate.  I have done two types
of repairs - in the '60s I put some cardboard behind the striker plate
thereby moving it forward for a tighter fit.  Last year I had a rattle and
eliminated it by moving the plate inward.  I did this by loosening the three
screws which hold the plate and shifting the plate  until the latch tit was
tight when the door was closed. ( The striker plate is the plate which has a
plastic insert with a grove into which the latch assembly tit runs).  One
quick check before u do all this is to drive over a bumpy road, reach over
and hold the door closed -- if the rattle stops u need to move the striker
plate inboard.  If u push out on the door and the rattle stops -- u need to
move the plate out.  There is also a Door Restraint Assembly above the latch
assembly.  This has a slider in side it and WD40 will ensure that the slider
is working properly - u might want to chek that also.  Good luck!  Please let
me know if this helps.
Art