Re: Mosport & Canadian Customs

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Mosport & Canadian Customs
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 14:55:27 -0500
Whoa!!!
don't get stressed out.
You don't need a passport to come to Canada...just good ID, driver's
license etc.
As far as the car and stuff goes, my best advise is to have something
that proves ownership of the race car and a list of what you're bringing
in.
The list needs to cover big stuff like generators etc. and tool
box...not every socket.
Get the list stamped at US comstoms when you leave the US and show it to
them when you return.
It proves that you've returned with the same stuff you arrived with, and
didn't buy or sell anything.
Now the reality... For the past 12 years I've gone back and forth the
border to Vintage races at Grattan, Waterford Hills, Lime Rock, the
Glen, Pittsburgh etc.,
I don't have any ownership for the car, don't have a list of my stuff
and go through customs both ways quicker than with my family on vacation
so I don't know!!!
No-one here that I've spoken to has ever had any problems either but...
The bigger the rig you're towing the more potential problems.
I tow a single axle little trailer with an Isuzu Trooper so everything
is sort of visible - I sail through and when I've travelled with other
vintage racers to grattan etc. we go through even quicker together than
alone
One tip though. I've found that customs guys both ways don't have a
sense - they don't react well when asked if you have anything to declare
you answer "Yes, I have a 12" penis"
Don't worry...be happy
Mike

(ps - don't hesitate to mail me, or Chris Harwood, or Brian Evans with
ANY questions...we've all gone over the border umpteen times)