Re: SU HS 4

To: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>,
Subject: Re: SU HS 4
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:55:33 -0700 (PDT)
I think the tops are interchangeable, as long as the
fuel inlets go where you want them to.

I really doubt that 1/16" of error in the fuel level
would have any detectable effect on the operation.
Consider how much it must slosh around during
acceleration and braking.

What drives the fuel through the jet is the
suction of the venturi, which is a much greater
pressure differential than that caused by
a fraction of an inch of fuel level.

But if the fuel level does get too high, it
could rise above the base of the jet and overflow
into the carb throat, even when the engine is not
running.

The most reliable way to check the fuel level is
to make sure the float chamber is filled up
(i.e. operate the fuel pump), remove the air chamber,
piston, and needle, and look straight down into the
jet. You should be able to see the fuel level a
little ways down.
(Unfortunately I forget exactly how far...)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org