Re: SU HS 4

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU HS 4
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:15:08 -0400
At 01:12 PM 9/9/2006 -0500, Roger Elliott wrote:

>I have a 80 Spitfire that I have put dual SU HS4s on.  I have 2 questions.
>
>1.  The float chamber tops are different front carb to back carb.  Is
>the only difference the fuel lines?  The reason that I am asking is
>that  I the float bowls that I have are from an early Spitfire, where I
>believe the fuel line came into the front one and then continued to the
>back one.  I want to run the fuel line into the back one and then to the
>front.

Roger,

I had the SUs on my 67.  Don't know what version (HS 4?) they were.  But,
you are correct.  The float bowl tops are interchangagle.  I once had a
carb die on me so I only had 1 carb.  I took a piece of cardboard and
blanked off the failed carb, and swapped the float bowl tops and limped
the 30 miles home.

>2.  The floats all seem to be solid plastic now.  So there is no metal
>tab to adjust the float level.  I have 2 different references for my
>carb.  One says the float level should be 1/8 the other says 3/16.
>Well, on mine I have 3/16 and 1/4.  I see no way of adjusting them.
>What is correct?  I tried switching the floats and even tried a
>different float  the problem persists.

They should still be adjustable.  The arm from the pivot to the float should
be metal.  You bend this lightly to adjust the float level.

I can't find my 67 shop manual right now.  So I can't look up the exact
level setting for the foat.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic