Stripped oil sump bolt threads in aluminum filler piece at

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Stripped oil sump bolt threads in aluminum filler piece at
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:26:01 -0700
Apologies for the cross-posting.

In the continuing saga of the engine purchased at a good price, fully
rebuilt, I checked main bearings and they were indeed brand new. Ahh, that's
nice.

However, the threads into the aluminum block called a "filler piece", at the
front of the engine holding the two front sump (oil pan) bolts, are well and
truly stripped.

As I understand it, the options are:

-helicoil to replace the threads, means added expense of a helicoil kit,
plus the (very real) possibility that I'd drill the new holes at an angle

-new aluminum block, but I recall this coming up before, so it must be a
weak point

-new metal (instead of aluminum) block (filler piece), I remember seeing
these on e-bay in the past, but can't find them lately. Anyone know the
seller?

Any preferences? One misgiving about the metal block relates to why Triumph
would use aluminum in the first place if it didn't need it, but there is not
always a rhyme to their reason.

Comments welcome.

Nick Moseley

Vancouver B.C.