RE: Stripped oil sump bolt threads in aluminum filler piece at

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: Stripped oil sump bolt threads in aluminum filler piece at
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:21:14 -0700
Once again, apologies for the cross-posting.

Wow an over-whelming response!  Many thanks to: William, Roger, Henry, Lee,
Mike M, Cyrille, Howard, Douglas, rek46, Geoff, Carter, Larry V, Leon, for
their thoughts, experiences and insights.

Obviously a common problem, underlined by the fact that several of you have
bought a new "saddle bar" in anticipation of a needing it!

The engine in question is not urgently needed at present, so that gives me a
bit of time. That being the case, I'm going to do a "bit of both". Have
already enquired of pricing including shipping from Marc Goldblatt. As well,
am going to give tapping new threads into the existing block a whirl. I
don't have a drill press, and wasn't kidding about the drilling at an angle
reference, as when I "eyeball" something it is in the singular. However, I
have an uncle visiting from UK, who spent his career in the Admiralty
Signals and Radar Establishment. He has offered to supervise, so might as
well try it, as the existing piece is garbage as is anyway.

Cheers, and once again, my thanks to all who shared

Nick Moseley

Vancouver B.C.

(By way of Spit sighting, saw a red GT6 on a trailer going east on 64th
yesterday. Good on ya'. NSM.)

===     http://www.vtr.org