RE: Stripped oil sump bolt threads in aluminum filler piece at

To: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: Stripped oil sump bolt threads in aluminum filler piece at
From: "de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)" <cyrille@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:08:17 -0600
Hello,

>However, the threads into the aluminum block called a "filler piece",
at the
>front of the engine holding the two front sump (oil pan) bolts, are
well and
>truly stripped.

>-helicoil to replace the threads, means added expense of a helicoil
kit,
plus the (very real) possibility that I'd drill the new holes at an
angle

Best solution, that is what I did on my car. Of course, I have access to
a "real" machine shop at work, so I could do it on a milling machine
with no issues...

You can probably find a machine shop around you who could do it. Else,
if you do not, you could always send it to me and I might be able to do
it for you, but shipping might be the same price than having a machine
shop do it...

> -new aluminum block, but I recall this coming up before, so it must be
weak point

no, too expensive...

>-new metal (instead of aluminum) block (filler piece), I remember
seeing
these on e-bay in the past, but can't find them lately. Anyone know the
seller?

Also expensive...

===     http://www.vtr.org