Re: Tunnel Cover Insulation

To: David <popeye444@comcast.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tunnel Cover Insulation
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:00:38 -0700 (PDT)
A few years ago I decided to add insulation
to the underside of my original paper tunnel cover.
I had the idea of spraying a layer of foam-in-a-can
on the underside, creating a layer of foam maybe
an inch thick that would be an excellent heat and
sound insulator, and also strengthen the somewhat
beat-up cover.

So I started spraying on the foam, trying to spread
it out evenly.  Unfortunately as it dried it
expanded much more than I expected, and it ended
up about 3 inches think, and quite lumpy.  I
had to spend a lot of time carving away most of it,
and doing a lot of test fits to find out where I
had to remove more to tet the cover to fit.
Especially with an overdrive, there are places
where the tranny is very close to the cover, and
other places where there is plenty of clearance.

It was a pain, but the result was very nice and it
has held up fine.

If you want to try this, you should use the
"low expansion" variety of foam, and try to spread
it around so it does not get too thick.

Also beware that foam-in-a-can is the messiest
stuff in existence.

Also do not bother trying the washable latex-based
foam-in-a-can- it has the durability of meringue.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org