RE: Door Panels

To: "Henry Stike" <stiker2126@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Door Panels
From: "Chris Foster" <cfoster@eppcon.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:08:09 -0400
I too have made my own panels, however mine are secured slightly differently
than the originals - actually I like the finish a little better.

As Paul indicated there are three clearance holes around the door pull that if
not there create a bump in the panel.  However, my panels only have the top
clearance hole, the other two are smaller and I use a polished steel screw and
finishing washer through the vinyl, through the wood and through the metal
plate to hold the panels on.  The other securing point is the actual door latch
plate.  Overall this holds the panels in place nicely without having to have
copied the original panels as acuratly for the original clips.

Also of note, to get the slightly plush feel behind the vinyl, I went to Home
Depot and bought a role of the plastic underlay for laminent hardwood
flooring... it's about an 1/8th of an inch thick and gives the door a more
original feel than had I simply glued vinyl to the wood, and it was easier to
work with than real foam.

Granted I might do this sometime again as I was simply experimenting the first
time and happend to be happier with the finish than I originally expected.

Good luck...
c.