RE: Air-con question - SORRY NON-LBC!!

To: spitfire list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air-con question - SORRY NON-LBC!!
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:10:27 +0100
Thanks to the many people who replied for all your excellent advice.

A bit of investigation at the weekend identified:
1.  I can find and identify all the bits of the system (a good start!) -
although I can't actually see the condensor in front of the radiator, it's
all too tight in there for me to be able to see it.
2.  There doesn't seem to be a sight glass to check for coolant - although
there are two valves that could well be top-up points.
3.  The compressor does not start turning when the air-con is switched on -
but I can turn the pulley hub by hand (or rather with a long stick - again
access is tricky).
4.  This indicated an electrical fault with the supply to the compressor,
confirmed by testing for voltage at the electrical connector for the
compressor.
5.  No fuses seem to be blown, but I don't have a fuse box guide to know
which one it should be!
6.  Switch seems to be operating correctly, but I can't be sure since I
don't know which of the 4 wires leading to it is supposed to do what.

Now stuck as I don't have a wiring diagram, and Haynes don't publish a
manual for this car (yet, anyway).  I'm going to pester our local Citroen
dealership to see if they can supply me with a wiring diagram, but I'm not
optimistic.  Oh well, if I do end up taking it somewhere, at least I can
narrow down the number of things they have to check and might save a little
on the labour :-(

My only other thought is that they might be a cut-off system that disables
the electrical supply to the compressor under some circumstance, such as a
shortage of refrigerant or some other fault?  Is this likely?  I guess I'll
find out if I ever get a wiring diagram!

Richard Gosling

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.