Re: Air-con question - SORRY NON-LBC!!

To: llst <llst@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Air-con question - SORRY NON-LBC!!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@COX.NET>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 12:51:20 -0400
At 09:38 AM 5/8/2004 -0700, llst wrote:

>We have a problem with a poor electrical connection on the ac clutch quick
>connect terminal on our 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme. If I wiggle it when the AC
>does't work, it will come back on for an indefinite time....

Larry,

Sounds like either the crimp on the wire has loosened, the wire had broken
at one side of the connector, or the connector has loosened up.  So
basically you need to replace the connector.  Check the "Help" section at
your local autoparts store for a single wire connector. Then cut the old
one out and replace it with the new one.

When you replace the connector, leave as much extra length on the wire so it
will be easier to work on.  You may have problems soldering to the old wire
as it has problably oxidized.  Before you try and solder the old wire, get
some mild acid - I use phosphoric acid as I always have some around for
etching metal before painting.  Spread the wire strands out a little and
dip the ends in the acid.  This will clean the oxidation off and allow
solder to stick to it.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic