Re: Shifter trouble

To: "Joe Frakes" <joe@ados.com>, "Spit List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shifter trouble
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:07:02 -0400
Once I was driving, and when I tried to shift, nothing happened and the shifter
was basically flopping around in my hand.  It turned out that the plastic ball
at the base of the shifter lever no longer existed: it had broken and the
pieces had
all fallen away.  After installing a new ball it was as good a new and has been
ever since.

Probably something similar is happening to yours.  It is quite easy to rebuild
the shifter, replacing all the plastic parts.  The biggest part of the job is
removing the transmission cover to get at the thing.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit