Re: Shifter trouble

To: joe@ados.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shifter trouble
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:34:01 EDT
In a message dated 8/24/2003 11:27:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, joe@ados.com
writes:

> I had an interesting issue with the shifter in my Spit when I went to drive
> it
> to work this morning.  It will no longer go into reverse.  When you press
> down
> on the lever to allow it to go into the reverse gate, it doesn't move down
> as
> far as it used to and will not allow you to get it into the gate for
> reverse.
> There is a bit of a rattling noise when you push it up and down, so I'm
> guessing something in the shifter has either broken or come loose...Is it a
> replace the shifter issue or can it likely be repaired?

Assuming this is a three-rail gearbox, sounds to me as if one or more of the
various bushings in the linkage has gone away. Odds are that a rebushing kit
(Triumph p/n 519770; around $34 from all the usual suspects) will take care of
the problem.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.