Shifter trouble

To: "Spit List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shifter trouble
From: "Joe Frakes" <joe@ados.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:22:48 -0700
I had an interesting issue with the shifter in my Spit when I went to drive it
to work this morning.  It will no longer go into reverse.  When you press down
on the lever to allow it to go into the reverse gate, it doesn't move down as
far as it used to and will not allow you to get it into the gate for reverse.
There is a bit of a rattling noise when you push it up and down, so I'm
guessing something in the shifter has either broken or come loose.  Anyone
have an experience with this issue?  Is it a replace the shifter issue or can
it likely be repaired?  I'll have to tear into it when I have another day
off.

Just a little background, it was working fine when I last drove it from home
to go race the car in the autocross.  Well, a bunch of hard driving and quick
shifting later, no reverse.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Joe Frakes
'73 Spit 1500  (4 good forward gears)
'55 Chevy 210 4dr   327/6spd (looking for a new home)