RE: OT-garage question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: OT-garage question
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:08:42 -0400
Mine is 32'x40' - 32' deep. 32' is not quite deep enough for my taste - 40'
square would be about right. I can comfortably fit five cars in, but four
of them are short - my Volvo 740 needs a bay to itself, that is the bay I
am outfitting as my workshop. 40' is wide enough for three good sized roll
up doors and a people door on the front. The staircase to upstairs is
directly inside the people door.

One big hint - make it two stories tall. Mine is two stories on the
backside, one on the front. Massive extra storage space. A hatch in the
floor and a chain hoist is a Good Thing. Also, if you ever want a lift, you
will want 9-10ft ceilings on the first floor. This I don't have - I will
have to get creative someday....

Next big hint - heat AND A/C. And 2x6 studding in the walls so you can
really insulate it. And good insulated doors and windows. All I have for
A/C is two 5000btu ($80 each on sale at Target) window units - even on 95
degree days they make working on cars soooo much nicer. I have two big
ceiling fans too to move the air around. Heat may not be so good - 40K BTU
propane unit heater - I'll report back this winter. I figure I can always
add another one if it isn't warm enough.

Lastly, lots and lots and lots of light. I put up ~140 lineal feet of
fluorescent tubes in the workbay - sooo much nicer to not be bothering with
trouble lights. Get cold weather rated too. Though if I were to do it again
I would have split them into two switched circuits, as it is almost too
bright in there at night.

If I had built it myself I definitely would have done things a little
differently, but I can't complain, I bought a 2700sf garage and a 1300sf
house for less than the garage alone would have cost to build around here.

I have pretty much decided though, no matter how big you build it, you will
wish it was bigger. I need Clive Cussler's WWII airplane hanger - about 30K
square feet would be nice!

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spit - still not on the road.
Westbrook, Maine