Re: Almost there!!!

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>,
Subject: Re: Almost there!!!
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:21:27 -0400
At 07:34 AM 8/11/2003 -0500, John T. Blair wrote:

>I could be the coil, but you can check this.  Simply pull
>the high tension wire from the coil to the dist. at the
>dist.  Then have a helper try and start the eng.  Hold the
>free end of the high tension lead near a good ground.  If
>you see a spark, then all is well.  If not, it could be
>the coil or it could be the points/condenser.

Ouch!  Even if you don't get a shock touching a spark plug wire
in normal operation, you could get one if the wire is not connected
to a spark plug.  If the high voltage has no place to go, it will rise
to a much higher voltage than normal, and it could easily jump
through or around the insulation to your hand.

Instead, just lay the wire on the firewall or someplace, so that the clip
on the end is within 1/4" or so of any metal.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit