Cooling the Spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling the Spit
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:08:58 -0400
Ok, so the car's back on the road, running pretty well, for now anyway, but
still tends to get hot in traffic.  I know, I know, there's the list
contigent that says that if it's between the 1/4 and 3/4 mark, it's ok.  But
at speed, the needle sits right on the 1/2 mark, so this is what I consider
my benchmark for "normal" running.  It only climbs in traffic.  And my aim
is to "fix" that.

I've got stock radiator (which admittedly probably needs more attention than
it's gotten, i.e. recoring), and dual electric fans.  Because I have the
stock water pump, onto which the stock fan was pressed, there is the fan
shaft sticking out the front.  So my two fans are of different sizes to
allow space near the radiator for the shaft that the old fan pressed onto.
I'd like to get a water pump that does not have this shaft for the fan, so I
can replace the smaller electric fan with a larger electric fan (probably a
more efficient fan, too).

Will another year water pump fit and not have this shaft sticking out the
front??  What's the inside make-up of this shaft?  Can it be cut or machined
off and still use the pump?  Do other water pumps pump more water?  Less
(i.e. pumps to avoid)?

Thanks a lot!

George P.