Re: Cooling the Spit

To: j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk, doug@dougbraun.com
Subject: Re: Cooling the Spit
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:31:06 -0400
James/Doug/list,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.  Here's how I see it:

At speed, there's no problem, so I conclude that the radiator's ok.
When I turn on the heater, I get heat, so I conclude that the water
circulation is ok.
Seems like the "fanning" is all that's left.

I think that the combination of upgraded fans (or at least one upgraded -
I'll get to that in a minute), and a new water pump that will allow for a
larger fan in place of the smaller one, and the radiator re-cored should
solve the problem once and for all.

As I mentioned, I have a larger fan on the left and the smaller one on the
right (both behind the radiator) to allow space for that oem fan shaft on
the water pump.  If you put your hand in front of the radiator, on the left
you can really feel the fan pulling the air through.  On the right, the pull
from the fan is much weaker.

So I think that a new water pump (with no fan shaft) and a larger fan on the
right will do the trick.  So what I really need to know is, what water pump
will fit my 1500 engine but not have the fan shaft sticking out?  I
understand that Nigel at SpitBits can be very helpful for stuff like this -
can anyone send me a number for him?  I'll have to look at home, I think now
that I *might* have bought something from him before....

Thanks again for the inputs.

George P.