Rubber gaskets

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rubber gaskets
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:50:11 -0700
>BTW, I am surprised that no manufacturer has jumped on the opportunity to
>                  reproduce the
>                  side marker gaskets.  The market has to be substantial.
************************************
Possibly because they are not as simple as they seem.  I believe there are
in actuality FOUR distinct and slightly different shapes requiring four
different molds to PROPERLY recreate the rubber gaskets used in the
production version of the Spitfire lamp assy.  A different mold for each
corner as the contours of the body are slightly different.  I did however
do two Pro Engineer models (right and left) of a part that could be used an
all four corners, but would still require two molds.  One for each side of
the body.  Anybody wishing to pursue this further (you will probably be
surprised at the cost of such a mold) can have the cad models in Pro-E or
IGES (if I can still find them:-})