Rubber Gaskets

To: reegurley@mindspring.com
Subject: Rubber Gaskets
From: frandrum@voicenet.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:53:18 US/Eastern
Ron,

When I did the restoration work on the 72 Spit I found a rubber gasket cement
(commonly
used to seal around windshields) and coated my side marker gaskets with it.

Clean the gasket surface and sand them with a very fine piece of emory cloth to
take off
the surmace hardness. If done with a moderate amount of care, you will find
that you can
apply a smooth coating of the cement.  I will dry to a light gloss and wears
extremely
well.  I did mine 5 years ago and they still look good.

BTW, I am surprised that no manufacturer has jumped on the opportunity to
reproduce the
side marker gaskets.  The market has to be substantial.

Frank D.
72 Spit
2000 Deville
2001