Rubber Gaskets

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rubber Gaskets
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:16:43 -0500
My side-marker lights and all the rear lights are removed (for re-spraying).
Their mounting gaskets aren't too bad, but not good either.  The main
problem is they tend to "bleed" a bit, & I don't look forward to having my
new paint stained with run-off below the gaskets.  I'm not against buying
new gaskets, but some aren't available (i.e., side-marker), and those that
are available are apparently of poor quality.

Does anybody have any ideas/experience/suggestions on a product that might
be applied to these gaskets to rejuvenate them a bit, to at least minimize
their bleeding & staining of the painted surfaces below them? - some sort of
rubber-paint / rubber-sealant / ArmorAll / whatever???  (I'm not talking
about show-car quality, just something for a very presentable week-end
driver.)

Cheers, Ree G. in Mexico, NY  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O