Re: Rubber Gaskets

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber Gaskets
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:36:24 -0700
At 01:16 AM 6/25/01 -0500, Ree Gurley wrote:

>Does anybody have any ideas/experience/suggestions on a product that might
>be applied to these gaskets to rejuvenate them a bit, to at least minimize
>their bleeding & staining of the painted surfaces below them? - some sort of
>rubber-paint / rubber-sealant / ArmorAll / whatever???  (I'm not talking
>about show-car quality, just something for a very presentable week-end
>driver.)

I've seen the reproduction gaskets and I'm not satisfied with their quality
or materials.  Instead on my car as I slowly reassemble it, I'll be using
home made gaskets for lights, door handles, locks, etc.  Rubber innertubes
for tires are a very cheap and wonderful source of material for gaskets.
With an Exacto knife, you can cut the thin rubber easily.  It's available
in different thicknesses as well (bicycles are thinnest where truck tire
tubes are thickest).
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |