Re: Emergency flasher

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Emergency flasher
From: "Dashwood, Dean" <dean.dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:50:46 +0100
> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:23:39 -0700
> From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
> Subject: Re: Emergency flasher
>
> At 04:05 PM 6/23/01 -0400, Larry Elswick wrote:
> >If the emergency flasher unit clicks
> >repetitively when switched on but
> >the lights don't flash, does that mean the
> >flasher unit is bad?
>
> <snip>
>
> Flasher         Lights          Result
>
> On/no click     On/no flash     Bulb out
>
> On/slow click   On/flash        Bulb out
>
> On/normal       On/flash        Normal
>
> On/fast click   On/fast flash   Dirty light sockets/partial short
>
> On/fast click   Off/no lights   Short before wire gets to the turn
signal
> circuit under dash

Agreed.  But slow/no flashing can also be caused by a duff flasher unit
(as happened to me), or by dirty contacts anywhere along the circuit,
thus increasing the resistance and reducing the current (as also
happened to me).  And the original poster asked about the scenario where
the flasher clicks, but the lights don't flash, which you didn't cover -
and I don't have any suggestions either on that one!  (You did cover
flasher clicking and lights staying off, but I interpreted the original
post to read flasher clicking but lights staying *on* - maybe I
interpreted it wrong?)

Dean